top of page
  • Writer's pictureSoubir Bose

Worried about a prodigal child? Register your will to disinherit them!

Updated: Oct 17, 2022

When you hear the word ‘will’, the first word that probably comes to your mind is ‘Inheritance’. But, interestingly, it can also be used to disinherit a natural heir from their parents’ self-acquired property under certain circumstances. A couple of years ago, the Kumars found themselves in such a situation.

Mr Kumar, who retired as a General Manager from an MNC, and his homemaker wife have three children – two sons and one daughter. All three are married and live independently, in their own houses. While his younger two children are financially stable, the eldest son, Naveen, has turned out to be the “black sheep of the family.”

Academically poor and with no steady job to fall back on, he started at least four business ventures with his father’s financial backing, only to send the investments down the drain. It won’t be an exaggeration to say that Mr. Kumar spent a huge part of his savings on Naveen, much to his other two children’s displeasure. So, when he got to know about his son planning yet another venture, the sexagenarian made it very clear that he won’t be backing him financially again.

Not ready to give up, the youngster mortgaged his house (gifted by Mr. Kumar) and took a heavy bank loan to start the business. History repeated itself and that, too, tanked. With no other source of income, he found himself unable to pay the EMI. The Kumars watched helplessly as the bank confiscated their son’s house. Soon, Naveen and his family (wife and 7-year-old daughter) moved in with the elderly couple.

A few months later, he once again approached Mr. Kumar for help. This time around, the son wanted the dad to be a co-borrower in a bank loan – for a brand-new business venture. It didn’t take Mr. Kumar a lot of thinking to realise the danger – if this venture failed and his son defaulted on the EMI, his own house would be confiscated.

While he flatly refused his son’s request, he started worrying about the future. Mr. Kumar knew that at some point in time, his house would be inherited by his three children. What if his eldest born squandered away his share in it as well? Finally, the concerned father decided to knock on his family lawyer’s door for help.

The advocate advised him to immediately register his will, disinheriting Naveen from the property. The youngster was given money equivalent to his share in the house. As per Indian law, parents can disinherit a child from their self-acquired property. Are you, too, worried about a similar scenario in your family? Well, whether it’s a question of inheritance or disinheritance, the key point is to register a will. You have every right to secure the future of your hard-earned assets.

So, what’s stopping you from registering your will? The misconception that it’s a tedious process? Let’s tell you, it is fairly easy, especially now, with EasyInherit. From creating an online portfolio of all your assets and providing legal assistance to helping you out with claims submission, EasyInherit is your one-stop solution for all inheritance-related issues.


46 views0 comments


bottom of page